Next step of vCenter installation procedure covers the vCenter Inventory Service that stores vCenter Server applications and inventory data making the search process easier.
To run properly vCenter Inventory Service requires SSO service installed in the system.
- Part 1 – Install guide introduction
- Part 2 – Install ESXi 5.5
- Part 3 – Install vCenter Single Sign-On
- Part 4 – Install vSphere Web Client
- Part 5 – Install Inventory Service
- Part 6 – Create vCenter database and DSN
- Part 7 – Install vCenter Server
- Part 8 – Create Update Manager database and DSN
- Part 9 – Install Update Manager
Part 5 – Install vCenter Inventory Service
From the VMware vCenter Installer select vCenter Inventory Service option and click the Install button.
Click Next to start the installation wizard.
Accept the EULA then click Next.
Leave default directory. Click Next.
Insert the FQDN of your vCenter Server then click Next.
Leave default settings and click Next.
Depending on your environment, select the option that match your infrastructure then click Next.
Type SSO administrator and password leaving default value in Lookup Service URL field. Click Next.
A self certificate is generated by the system. Click Yes to continue.
When ready to install, click Install button to proceed.
The installation status is shown.
When the installation completes, click Finish to exit the wizard.
The Inventory Service is now installed in the system completing the prerequisites for vCenter Server. Before proceeding with its installation, the vCenter database and DSN must be set if the database will be saved on a dedicated SQL server.