The low-cost, easy-to-use and reliable backup solution HPE VM Explorer 6.6 is now Generally Available with added HPE StoreOnce features.
HPE VM Explorer has been recently acquired by Micro Focus that continues the development of this application and the product will be rebranded soon.
Version 6.6 is mainly focused on HPE StoreOnce Catalyst integration and introduces the following new capabilities.
HPE StoreOnce Catalyst integration
- File Level Recovery - VM Explorer is now able to perform File Level Recovery on HPE StoreOnce Catalyst stores extending the recovery options with a faster recovery time.
- Instant VM Recovery - the capability of starting a VM directly from the backup without having to perform a restore first is now supported also for StoreOnce.
- Microsoft Exchange GRE - is now possibile to recover an email item, folder and mailbox from VM backups stored on StoreOnce Catalyst stores.
Backup larger VMs to Microsoft’s Azure cloud
The capability of backing up data to Azure has been extended from 195GB to 4.7TB. This allows the admins to protect larger VMs offsite to Azure.
The User Guide included with the application has now a troubleshooting section for most common issues, helping the users to quickly fix problems.
Support for Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 CU5
Granular recovery is now supported also for Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 CU5.
Licensing and available editions
VM Explorer supports both VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V environments and it is licensed per physical CPU sockets.
VM Explorer comes in three editions:
- Free - this edition has limited features.
- Professional - offers an efficient backup and replication solution. Starter pack includes 4 physical CPU sockets.
- Enterprise - all features available for an advanced backup, replication and recovery solution. Starter pack includes 6 physical CPU sockets.
The number of CPU sockets for Professional and Enterprise editions can be expanded for an unlimited number.