VMware Horizon 8 2006 is the latest version of the VDI technology by VMware that provides new features and enhancements.
Due to new and deprecated features, check out the new licensing model for the new version. For example, Instant Clones are now available across all license types.
VMware Horizon 8 2006 what's new
Horizon 8 introduces new features and enhancement removing some previously supported features. Deprecation notifications have been added to the UI.
- Deployment environments - Horizon 8 2006 supports the deployment to the following environments: vSphere On-Premises, AWS, Dell EMC, Azure, Google Cloud, Oracle Cloud. The deployment environment is chosen during Connection Server install.
- Core components - parallel upgrades of Connection Servers are now supported (max 3 pods at time in parallel) and the CBRC 2.0 supports extended up to 32 GB of cache.
- Virtual desktops - Horizon 8 2006 now provisions automatically Instant Clones taking benefit of the Smart Provisioning technology (Instant Clones are provisioned directly from replica VM, without creating any parent VM). Linked Clones in the Composer and persistent disks still exist but they are deprecated and will be removed in a future version.
- Deprecated OSs - Windows version 7, 8, and Windows Server 2008 are no longer supported.
- HTML UI - Flex Admin GUI has been replaced by HTML and it is now the default GUI for desktop pools and RDSH farms.
- Location-based printing - ThinPrint has been replaced by VMware Integrated Printing.
- Security Server - this component is no longer supported and the UAG (Unified Access Gateway) should be used instead.
- Persona Management - has been deprecated in favour of DEM. The Dynamic Environment Manager is now the tool to manage user and computer-based ADMX policies.
- Blast Extreme - improved full-screen video and memory utilization in Blast Codec (enabled by default). Added support to use two 8K displays.
* Picture from VMware
Added support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.8, as well as multi-session support on Red Hat 7.8, 8.1, and Ubuntu 1804.
Improved real-time audio and video feature (webcam usage and video conferencing) extending the support for Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business, and Windows Tablet.
- Video and Desktop sharing optimization - this feature has been optimized for Microsoft Teams on Horizon 2006.
- Windows client - added the support for Windows 10 2004, Microsoft Edge Chromium, and the option to skip certification revocation list checking.
- Linux client - added the support for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, full IPv6, custom display resolutions, and an updated SDK.
- Mac client - added the USB auto-connect for RDSH apps feature.
Dynamic Environment Manager (DEM)
Available in the Standard and Enterprise editions, Standard version is included for all customers which has already an Horizon Standard license.
The new Elevated task feature allows you to run programs with elevated privileges during Login, Logoff, session reconnect, and so on.
VMware App Volumes
Performance improvements and new apps support are provided in this release.
- Assignment filters - delivery of application packages can now be limited to specific computers through application assignments configuration. The support has been added for Microsoft Office 2019, Microsoft SQL Server 2019 and Microsoft Windows 10 2004
- Microsoft LDAP Channel Binding - App Volumes Manager now supports the communication with Domain Controllers configured for LDAP Channel Binding. This feature is enabled by default.
- Rolling upgrades - one version of App Volumes can now be upgraded to the next with no downtime.