Veeam released Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 1 introducing as main feature the full support for VMware vSphere 6.5.
In addition, Veeam released new updates also for the following products:
The Update 1 introduces some enhancements and resolve some issues.
VMware vSphere 6.5 support
- Full support for vSphere 6.5 and vSAN 6.5
- Encrypted VMs support - VMs can be backed up in hot add and network (NBD) transport modes only. Hot add mode requiring that the backup proxy itself is an encrypted VM
- VMFS6 support - added support for the new VMFS version
- New guest interaction API support - added the support for the new vSphere API for guest interaction
- New VM tag API support - with the new API introduced in vSphere 6.5, advanced backup policies based on tags are supported
- NBD compression - VDDK 6.5 adds ability to enable native NBD traffic compression. Create under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication registry key the (DWORD) VMwareNBDCompressionLevel with value from 0 (no compression) to 3 (best compression)
Improved performance with large number of VMs.
Self-service portal for vCloud Director
Side by side restore - Tenants are now able to restore VMs and vApps without overwriting the original object by selecting Keep restore option.
Direct SAN improvements
Improved Direct SAN transport selection on backup proxies with disabled MPIO, added support for parallel restore through multiple Direct SAN backup proxies.
Upgrade version 9.5 to Update 1
Before installing the update, make sure you are running version 188.8.131.520, 184.108.40.2061 or 220.127.116.112. To display current version, go to Help > About in Veeam console.
Prior installing the update, reboot the server to clear any locks on the product files and disable the backup jobs.
Download the Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 1 from Veeam website and run the installer. Click Next to begin the update process.
Click Install to proceed with the installation.
The update is being installed. The update takes some minutes to complete.
When the installation completes successfully, click Finish to exit the wizard.
When you open the console after the update, also installed Veeam components must be updated. Click Apply to proceed.
Selected components are being updated.
If one of your cloud subscriptions services is expired, the related component update will fail. Click Finish when the components update process has been completed.
To update failed components at a later date, from the Veeam console select Upgrade option in the configuration menu.
The console installed on the administrators' computers is automatically updated at the first run after the server upgrade.
After completing the upgrade procedure, the build will be version 18.104.22.1683.
Addition info can be found in the Release Notes.