Nakivo released the new Nakivo Backup and Replication 8.5 introducing new features such as the support for Nutanix AVH and the replication from backup.
Version 8.5 is another step for this interesting backup software that places Nakivo as one of the most important solution for protecting VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, AWS EC2 and now also Nutanix environments.
What's new in Nakivo Backup and Replication 8.5
Version 8.5 provides the following new features:
Nutanix AHV support
With Nakivo 8.5 is now possible to perform operations on Nutanix AVH such as incremental, application-aware backup of either full Nutanix VMs or of separate disks. To ensure security for offsite backups, a 256-bit encryption can be used to protect Nutanix AHV backups in flight and at rest.
The following key features are provided for Nutanix environment:
- Agentless - no agents are required to protect Nutanix AHV reducing overhead, providing flexibility, and simplifying data protection in Nutanix Acropolis infrastructures.
- Application-Consistent - application data are processed in a transactionally consistent state.
- Incremental - leaveraging on Nutanix Changed Regions Tracking, only changed blocks are backed up saving storage space.
- High-Performance - backup performance are improved with LAN-free data transfer and network acceleration available in Nakivo.
Replication from backup
This new feature allows to create a replica using the backup as source. A backup job can now trigger the replication job using a backup as source decreasing the system resources requirements since no snapshots are created on the production VM.
- Reduced snapshot overhead - since the replication is fired up using as source the already existing backup, there is no need to create an additional snapshot for the replication process reducing the resource requirements normally needed for the standard operation.
- Offloaded production network - replicating virtual machines using their backup as source, data are transferred over the production network only during the backup operation avoiding the use of same network also for replication. This way allows to reduce the load of the production network.
Software-Defined backup appliance based on FreeNAS
Nakivo Backup & Replication 8.5 can now be installed on FreeNAS operating system for having a powerful backup appliance. No matter what hardware is actually used, this new feature allows to store backups in an efficient and cost-effective way.
- Increased backup performance - since data are directly written to disks of the backup appliance hardware, backup performance is increased because network protocols are bypassed.
- Save storage space - levearaging on global data deduplication, variable compression the storage consumption can be reduced up to 10 X.
Ransomware-Proof mini backup appliance based on Raspberry Pi
Nakivo Backup & Replication 8.5 can be installed on Raspberry Pi devices creating a portable, ransomware-proof backup appliance.
- Raspberry Pi as backup appliance - being a light-weight product, Nakivo can be easily installed on Raspberry Pi devices creating a compact and cost-effective backup appliance.
- Minimal costs - due to the limited cost of these devices, you can implement a secure data protection strategy with a very cost-effective solution.
Finally Nakivo has simplified the upgrade process allowing to install updates directly from the web interface in few clicks.
Windows Server 2019 support
If your infrastructure uses Windows Server 2019, Nakivo Backup & Replication 8.5 is now fully compatible and can be safely installed on Windows Server 2019.
After introducing cool capabilities such as Policy-Based Data Protection and the Universal Object Recovery, Nakivo extended the offer with a new set of interesting features that makes the product a good option for data protection within your infrastructure.
Relying on affordable per-socket pricing, Nakivo allows the administrators to get a valid solution for the virtual infrastructure protection staying within the boundaries of your budget.
Nakivo Backup & Replication 8.5 is available to download as 30-day trial.