Vembu BDR Suite is a software solution focused on Backup and Disaster Recovery for VMware vSphere and Hyper-V suitable for enterprise and SMB businesses.
Through a single user face, Vembu BDR Suite backups can be stored on-site, off-site and to the cloud. In addition to common backup features, the software offers the Item Level backups for Microsoft Exchange Servers, SharePoint, SQL, My SQL, Office 365, G Suite etc.
Latest version 3.8.0 is available also as forever free edition and comes with two options you can choose from:
- unlimited features for three virtual machines
- unlimited virtual machines with restricted features
Vembu BDR Suite Free Edition benefits
- Vembu BDR Suite supports VMware and Hyper-V virtual platforms as well as physical servers and workstations.
- The Free Edition is free forever and no licenses are involved.
- No major restrictions in functionality and full image backups and recovery for both physical and VMs can be performed. Granular recovery of files is also supported.
- The proprietary VembuHIVE filesystem makes the storage management more efficient with compression, version control, encryption and error correction features.
- Unlimited VMs and physical servers can be backed up making the Free Edition suitable also for production environments.
Unlimited features available for 3 VMs
- No agents are installed on VMs to protect.
- Disk Image backups can be now managed through the Vembu BDR Server and proxy agent is no longer required (only a distributed deployment still requires it).
- Full backup for VMs is supported, including OS, applications and data.
- Different volumes and storage devices can be aggregated in Storage Pools used for specific backups. Vembu BDR Server supports local drives, NAS (NFS and CIFS) and SAN (iSCSI and FC).
- For LAN free data transfer, Direct SAN, Hot-Add and NBD transport modes are supported.
- Auto Authorization feature allows proxy agents to be registered to backup server with a key generated by respective BDR server.
- Backups can be scheduled to be performed during the preferred backup window.
- Backups support encryption providing an additional security tier.
- File Level Recovery (FLR) is now available for both backup and replication jobs.
Restricted features for unlimited VMs
All the features mentioned above for limited business environment will be applicable for this categories with few restrictions in the features.
- Application aware processing is restricted for Hyper-V but not for VMware vSphere.
- Changed Block Tracking allows to reduce space used in the storage backing up only blocks changed since the previous backup.
- Retention Policies can be configured to retain any number of recovery points.
- Near CDP allows to schedule Incremental backup every 15 mins.
- With incremental backups every 15 minutes, Vembu provides a quick VM recovery.
- Backup can be verified against recoverability through the Automated Backup verification feature.
A detailed comparison between Paid vs Free editions can be found here.
Although is a Free Edition, Vembu BDR Suite Free is a complete backup solution with all features requested by modern software and can be used also in production environments.