Iperius Backup is a backup solution image-based to protect VMware vSphere and Hyper-V environments and supports both incremental and differential backups.
The software takes benefit on the snapshot technology leveraging the CBT feature to backup only changed blocks after first full backup. Iperius Backup provides also the capability to backup VMs hosted on free ESXi host.
In addition to backup and restore virtual machines running on ESXi and Hyper-V environments, Iperius Backup provides the capability to backup and restore the following platforms:
- SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL databases
- Microsoft Exchange 2010 (SP1), 2013, 2016
- Exchange Online (Office 365)
Iperius Backup provides several features useful to fully protect a specific environment:
- Support for ESXi versions 4.x, 5.x, 6.x
- Iperius is an agentless solution without having to install any software agents
- Incremental and differential backups leveraging the CBT technology. Specific VM disks can be excluded from the backup and independent disks are managed
- Replication of VMs is fully supported and allows to quickly restore the VM functionality at the DR Site in case of failures
- The backup of the ESXi Free version is supported, including incremental and differential backups
- Auto-restore of virtual machines, including on different hosts
- Backup to disk, NAS, Cloud, FTP, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Amazon S3
- Restore of single files or folders (FLR) directly from the backup of a VMware ESXi virtual machine
- AES 256-bit secure encryption
- The software provides a multilanguage interface (Italian, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese)
Licensing and editions
Iperius Backup requires a cost-effective license and it is provided as perpetual license. Only one license is required to cover unlimited hosts and virtual machines and tech support and updates are provided for free.
To protect virtual enviroments, you can choose between two editions:
- Advanced VM - to backup ESXi, ESXi Free and Hyper-V, incremental backup and restore, replication, FLR, backup to disk, network, Cloud, NAS and LTO Tape
- Full - this edition provides all available features and it is the solution recommended for Windows Server backup and virtual environments protection
You can upgrade the Iperius edition at any time paying only the difference. A comparison page of the product editions is available at Iperius website.
Install Iperius Backup
Iperius Backup Server can be installed on a Windows-based machine and the installation requires only few clicks.
Download the software from the Iperius website and run the installer. Click Next to begin.
Accept the EULA then click Next.
Leave default installation folder and click Next.
Click Yes to create destination folder.
Click Next to continue.
Click Install to proceed with the installation.
Iperius Backup is being installed.
When the installation has been completed successfully, click Finish to exit the wizard.
The Iperius Backup's dashboard.
Apply the license
From the Iperius Backup's dashboard, click on Activate program icon to apply the license.
Paste the Activation code provided by Iperius and click Activate.
The product has been activated successfully. Click OK.
Create a Backup Job for vSphere
Click on Create a new backup job button from Iperius Backup's dashboard.
Select ESXi item.
Configure the ESXi/vCenter Account
Click on Add account button and fill the required fields. Click Test connection to verify if Iperius Backup can connect the vCenter Server.
When the connection has been established successfully, click OK.
The just created account. Click Close to return to the Backup Job configuration page.
Configure the Backup Job
Once selected the correct account, click Connect/Refresh button.
Select the VMs to backup and specify the Backup mode, Backup type and the Destination folder. Click OK.
In the Items tab are listed the VMs type to backup. Click Next.
In the Destinations tab you can specify where to store backups.
Specify the schedule then click Next.
Specify requested Options and click Next.
Specify the required parameters to receive notifications via email then click Next.
You can specify scripts to be executed Before and/or after backup. Click Next.
Enter a Job name and a Description then click OK to save the configuration.
Right click the just created Backup Job and select Run backup to execute the backup immediately.
Click Yes to confirm.
The backup is being performed.
Depending on the size of the VMs to process, after some minutes the backup completes successfully. Click OK to exit the window.
Restore a virtual machine
From Restore tab click Restore of ESXi virtual machines button to perform the restore.
Specify the ESXi/vCenter connection account to be used to connect the vCenter. Select the datastore to restore the VM and click on Select button to choose the VM to restore. Enter the Virtual machine name and click Run restore button.
Click Yes to confirm.
The restore process is being performed.
The restored VM in VMware vSphere Client.
Iperius Backup is a good product for having a cost-effective backup solution in place. Several features are available in the software to safely protect your environment and the capability to manage the backup of multiple platforms directly from a single pane of glass is a big benefit provided by Iperius Backup.
Iperius Backup is available to download as 30-day trial.