Veeam released the new popular backup solution Veeam Backup & Replication 10a fixing some bugs and introducing new features and enhancements.
The direct upgrade is supported from version 9.5 Update 3 (build 220.127.116.116) or later. To upgrade from previous version, check out the Veeam Backup & Replication upgrade paths.
What's new in Veeam Backup & Replication 10a
Fully integrated AWS-native backup
- Version 10a integrates the AWS data protection directly in the console and it requires the installation of the AWS Plug-in for Veeam Backup & Replication. To install the plugin just follow this guide.
The platform support has been extended as follows:
- Microsoft Windows 10 2004 and Microsoft Windows Server SAC 2004 - support as guest OS, as Hyper-V servers, for the installation of VBR components, and for agent-based backup with the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 4.0.1.
- Linux Kernel 5.7 - support for guest VMs, for the installation of VBR components, and for agent-based backup with the Veeam Agent for Linux 4.0.1.
- RHEL 8.2, CentOS 8.2, Oracle Linux 8.2 (RHCK) and VMware Photon OS - support for guest processing functionality in host-based backup jobs.
- RHEL 8.2, CentOS 8.2, Oracle Linux 8.2 (RHCK), Ubuntu 20.04, Debian 10.4, openSUSE Leap 15.2, Oracle Linux 8 (up to UEK R6) and Fedora 32 (up to kernel 5.7.7) - distributions support in the Veeam Backup & Replication agent management functionality.
- VMware vCloud Director 10.1 - support and better handling of deployments without network access to vCD cells.
- Azure Stack - added support for recent versions.
- Azure File Sync support with cloud tiering awareness for file backup jobs. Files not present in the local cache are now backed up correctly while a file share is processed with Azure File Sync enabled. Files are not downloaded back to the file server but backed up directly from Azure.
- Direct restore to Microsoft Azure - re-deploying the Azure Proxy with the new default instance suggested by the wizard improves performance up to a few times depending on the backup location.
- Microsoft Exchange 2019 MetaCacheDatabase (MCDB) configurations support in Veeam Explorer for Exchange.
- Amazon Snowball Edge - it is now supported for the scale-out backup repository Capacity Tier.
- Dell EMC Data Domain Boost SDK was updated to version 3.4. Due to this change the minimum supported DD OS version is now 6.0.
- HPE Primera - added the support for OS version 4.2.
- ReFS integration - the RefsEnableLargeWorkingSetTrim registry value is now automatically set.
- Free file backup for small data sets - the first 250GB of data can be protected from any file source at no cost and v10a will only consume a license for each full 250GB set of data protected.
- File version archiving - this option is now available even if Socket and VUL license is installed in the backup server regardless of the Socket license edition.
- Perpetual VUL - Veeam Universal License (VUL) are now available also with the Perpetual contract.
Enhancements and bug fixes
Version 10a introduces also 1200 minor enhancements and fixes based on users' feedback. Additional information can be found in the Release Notes.
Veeam Backup & Replication 10a is available to download at Veeam website.