Veeam recently introduced the new Veeam Universal License (VUL) with the scope of making license management simpler regardless of workloads or backup location.
Starting from 1st October 2019, all subscription licensing for products will be licensed as VUL and provided as fully featured edition Enterprise Plus. Only Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 and Veeam Availability Orchestrator will continue to be licensed using their existing subscription licenses.
Products using Veeam Universal License
Sold in bundles of 10 licenses, Veeam Universal License is provided with the Enterprise Plus features set and since 1st October 2019 is the licensing mode used in the following products:
- VMs: VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Nutanix AHV
- Servers: Microsoft Windows and Linux
- Workstations: Microsoft Windows and Linux
- Cloud Instances/VMs: AWS, Azure and more
- Enterprise Applications: SAP HANA and Oracle RMAN
- File shares: 250GB front end capacity per license (VBR v10)
License management simplified
Compared to previous licensing model based on VIL, the Veeam Universal License doesn't leverage any weighting tables since every workload consumes one license.
Because VUL licenses are provided as Enterprise Plus there won't be the hassle of managing different editions.
Perpetual Per-Socket license remains available for purchase and renewal to protect on-premises VMware and Hyper-V environments. If you don't have any plan to migrate to the cloud, perhaps this is the most suitable licensing mode you should adopt.
Per-Socket license still provides 1 "gift" license per protected socket for a maximum of 6 allowing the protection of some servers, workstations or cloud workloads. In Veeam Backup & Replication 10 gifted instances will be converted in VUL-based instances.
Existing Socket-based license can be converted to VUL as follows:
- Conversion can be done during your Socket license renewal
- No extra costs are required for the conversion and just the regular socket license renewal price must be paid
- Converting your Per-Socket license you will get Enterprise Plus regardless of the purchased edition
- Sockets to VUL conversion ratio is based on the number of protected VMs (up to 15:1)
Former VIL licenses
Customers who purchased VIL licenses, can upgrade the license to VUL when they renew existing licenses or buy more Instances. Anyway, VUL licenses will be provided to VIL users for Veeam Backup & Replication 10 for the remainder of their contract.
The VIL Essentials Enterprise edition is now sold as VUL Essentials and the price will remain the same but fully featured as Enterprise Plus.
Veeam Backup Starter edition
With the release of VUL, Veeam introduces the new Veeam Backup Starter edition, the cheapest offer by Veeam that provides protection for up to 20 workloads. It is basically an upgrade path for the Community Edition with the addition of a basic support.
To have an estimated cost to protect workloads, it is available the VUL pricing calculator at Veeam website.